Monday, November 5, 2012


W2_LUCKY_PAPERTOPIC SELECTION

i

Problem Definition

·         Identify two paper topic and

·         Propose to Dr. PDG for approval

Problem/ Need Formulation and Evaluation

In order to take the AACE CCC/E exam, I would need to write a paper on cost engineering. It is mandatory.

               

Feasible Alternatives

The following paper topic was selected of the two topics presented to Dr. PDG

Benchmarking Service Excellence: Synchronizing resource capacity with service demand – The Nigerian maintenance service company experience

The topic outline was also presented along with topic. 

Table of Content

List of Tables

List of Figures

Abstract

1.0   Introduction

1.1   The need for service excellence

1.2   The value of service excellence

2.0   ‘As Is’ Situation: Typical Rotating Equipment maintenance service delivery

2.1   Maturity class framework

2.2   Best-in-Class model

3.0   Feasible Alternative

3.1   Requirements for success

3.2   Competitive Framework

3.3   Service optimization

4.0   Required Actions

4.1   Company steps to success

5.0   Tracking and Reporting

5.1   Monitoring implementation of recommended choice

6.0   References

7.0   Bibliography

Appendix

 

Dr PDG responded with plenty of sources to help me with the literature review as well as the preparation of the first draft. Additionally, I had the first list of my bibliography developed from these sources.

 

Criteria Selection

I selected the paper topic as the issue has been a challenge at my place of work and I wanted to use this opportunity to investigate best practice in the industry upon which I can leverage.  The sources provided by Dr. PDG have so far proved to be very rich and informative. I see some practical value already.

New Alternative

I have the APA referencing format to adopt. This is a new format to me. I am learning and using it at the same time in order to get a good grasp of it.

Additionally, Dr. PDG has suggested that I try to relate or connect the professional services to "project controls" or for a PMO (Project Management Office) in order to make my paper topic more relevant to cost engineering.

Conclusion

I am working on my first draft which I intend to send to Dr. PDG in a short while. This draft comprises of the introduction and the bibliography.

References:

1.     Purdue OWL APA style, (2011). APA formatting and style guide. Retrieved from http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/19/

2.     Giammalvo, P. (2012, October 22). AACE Certification prep. coursei

 

1 comment:

  1. Hmmmmmm...... Lucky, not sure what to do with this one..... I hate to say it, but I have to REJECT this posting and ask you to redo it, posting it as W2.1.

    The reason being you really haven't demonstrated yet that you know and understand the 7 step process.

    Your problem statement should have read. 1) I have two possible paper topics, A or B and I am not sure which one to select.

    Then your Feasible Alternatives would have been 2) Topic A or Topic B or if you wished, Topic C.

    And this is where you fell off the truck.....

    For step 3, development of the outcomes, you should have tied the paper topics to achieving some sort of strategic objectives. Paper Topic A will help me accomplish this and that, while Paper Topic B will help me achieve this, that and the other.

    Step 4 requires you to set some criteria. i.e. the subject is appropriate to be covered within 3000 - 5000 words. You have access to the data.

    Step 5 requires that you use one of the decision making tools shown in your Memory Jogger 2 (i.e. Affinity Diagram, Force Field Analysis, Decision Tree etc) OR if you really want to work smart and not hard, go to Chapter 14 of your Engineering Economy and apply at least two of the non-compensatory models and 2 of the compensatory decision making models and then you not only can claim credit for your W2.1 blog posting, but you can also claim credit for completing your problems from Chapter 14 of Engineering Economy. Two deliverables for the time it took to do one of them.

    Step 6 is you apply the criteria to the options you've identified and using that, make your decision.

    Then finally in Step 7, you have to think about how you can measure your progress to see if your decision was or was not a good one.

    Lastly, I require a MINIMUM of 3 references for each blog and you only provided two, and neither of them were complete.

    Example-
    Giammalvo, Paul D. (November, 2012) AACE Prep Course Handouts, Day 2, Slide #123 and Day 5, Slide #6

    Doing fine on your paper, so what I urge you to do is spend more time mastering the step by step cost engineering process. Why? Because not only will it help you with your paper, but it will help you pass the essay (case study) portion of your EVP, PSP, CEP or DMRM exams.

    BR,
    Dr. PDG, Jakarta


    ReplyDelete